Medical Specialty >> Orthopedics

Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: Upper back tingling

matthew111 - Sun Aug 27, 2006 3:56 pm

Hello, since december of 05 I experienced some upper to mid back pain, I couldn't keep an upright posture without serious pain and had to slouch forward or get relief from using a chair with a back rest. Since then the pain has pretty much gone, every now and then I will get a bit of aching in the area near the left shoulder blade. My main concern is the tingling that I get everyday when I use my left arm... even when I pick up a simple object like a cup I get this tingling (no pain) near my shoulder blade.

I start doing yoga but am unsure if I should continue... I thought the problem was probably due to sitting at the computer for many hours everyday and getting little exercise (weakened / tight back muscles).

Is this likely because of bad posture or something? I have no memory of getting an injury, this just came on sometime late last year.

Matt
 Schitzo - Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:57 pm

I had pretty similar symptoms. For me it was in my mid upper back, more to one side. I'd get the numbness and tingling. I still get it, and it still bothers me. I went to see my dr. about it, and they told me it likely was a pinched nerve, and that there's really not a whole lot they can do. he suggested i continue to exercise, so your yoga should be fine. Bad posture is likely the culprit! (was for me anyway)