Medical Specialty >> Orthopedics

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/01/2017.

Forum Name: Osteoporosis

Question: CALCIUM WITHOUT CONSTIPATION?

saintcal - Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:23 am

After trying at least 5 different kinds of calcium supplements over the years, I have finally given up. They all cause constipation (and then hemorrhoids) even with a high fiber diet and drinking a lot of water.

I'm concerned that I won't be able to get enough calcium from my skim milk, etc., and know I need it. I am a 63-year old female and my bone density has gone down 14% over ten years, and is just on the border of normal now. I just don't want it to go down a lot more; I take glucosamine-chondroitin supplements also.

I'd be grateful for suggestions for a better form of calcium or other ideas.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:53 pm

User avatar Have you tried calcium fortified foods, such as orange juice? The citrate in orange juice helps absorption of calcium and is generally a little less constipating.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us