Medical Specialty >> Orthopedics

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/01/2017.

Forum Name: Bone trauma and fractures

Question: have i broken my knuckle or is it deep bruising?

kzvin - Sun Feb 18, 2007 2:21 pm

i punched a wall out of frustration and my knuckle quickly became bruised, i read off another website that if i pressde directly onto my knuckles, if they went into a spongy layer then it was broken however, when practicing this theory, my knuckle did not go down... is it broken or deeply bruised?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:50 pm

User avatar Determining the presence of a fracture vs. a deep bruise can be difficult. If the pain is getting better over the course of 1-2 days a fracture is less likely. If the pain worsens or continues, especially if there is tenderness when pressing along a small area, there may be a fracture.

These are far from definite rules, however. If you are concerned about a fracture I suggest that you be evaluated by your doctor. If there is still concern, x-rays can be done to look for fractures.

Hope this helps some.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us