Medical Specialty >> Orthopedics

Question: Osteochondritis talus

ryann - Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:22 pm

35 y/o female. Had a x-ray on thursday which showed an abnormality. Doctor believes it to be osteochondritis of my left talar bone. I am having a MRI on tues. to determine the grade of the fracture.

The doc. said that at best I should be immobilized and at worst may have to have surgery to reestablish blood supply. He did not immobilize me after my appointment. I didn't even think of this until after I left. Should he have? Once formally diagnosed, is this a non-weight bearing injury? What about after surgery if required? I am a therapist so I am on my feet while at work, and responsible for my patients safety while I have them up.

Thanks for your input..........

Ryann
 ryann - Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:31 pm

The doctor called today and said there is a lesion on the talus as revealed on the MRI. What does this mean exactly? Does a lesion represent a chip, necrosis of the bone or what???

Since posting, I have discovered that Osteochonral defect is the new term. There are different grades????

My doc. has referred me to a foot specialist and will see him on 3/5.

Thank you for your help!
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:49 pm

User avatar At some point in their training, every medical student asks the same question you have... What is a lesion?

A lesion is an extremely broad term that just means something abnormal. Unfortunately, from the description of your MRI showing a lesion, I cannot say if it represents a fracture, an increase in bone or possibly a decrease in bone in that area. The possibilities are numerous.

Osteochondral defect is a similar term that is a little more specific. It simply means that there is a defect in the bone/cartilage area of your talus.

I agree with the recommendation to see a foot specialist. Your doctor should be able to give you more information regarding the MRI.

Sorry I can't be of more help.