Medical Specialty >> Orthopedics

Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: lump caused by an epidural?

jamiemoriarity - Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:10 am

I am 24 years old and have just given birth to my second child 6 weeks ago. I noticed a lump in the center of my lower back today where I was given an epidural during delivery. Everything went well with the delivery, but I am worried this lump won't go away. I don't feel any pain with it, but it just looks like it's still swollen where the needle was inserted in me. Is this normal 6 weeks after having a baby, or should I be concerned?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Apr 21, 2007 2:26 pm

User avatar It is quite possible that during the placement of the epidural a small blood vessel was cut causing a hematoma (blood clot) to form in the area. These do go away but it can take a while. If the lump is not getting better in the next week or two I would suggest that you have it evaluated.

If you happen to be seeing the doctor before this (usually for a six week follow up) you can mention it at your appointment.