Medical Specialty >> Orthopedics

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/01/2017.

Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: Digenerative Disc Disease

 kidneyconcerned - Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:00 pm

[b]I am a 20 year old female and have had lower back pain for 9 years. Just this past june I had my very first x-ray. When nothing showed up and I kept complaining, they gave me an MRI. On the MRI results my doctor told me that I had digenerative disc disease. My doctor never told me what it was or what caused it or if there was anything to be concerned about. So I was wondering if anyone knew what it is, how you get it, what can be done about it and what are the concerns. In english also. Medical terms confuse me! Thank you
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon May 21, 2007 3:15 pm

User avatar Degerative disk disease is a bit of a confusing topic because there is still some disagreement about what it actually is and isn't.

It is generally felt that DDD is a condition where the disk of the spinal canal begins to breakdown and can cause pain.

The term degenerative can be misleading in that the disease is not degenerative to the body, only the disk itself will continue to degenerate and eventually scar down.

There are some treatments if pain is continuing. You may wish to see an orthopedic specialist or a spinal surgeon to be evaluated and get some advise on treatment options. Of note, surgery is generally considered a last resort and only for those with severe symptoms. Other, less invasive treatments should be tried first.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us