Medical Specialty >> Orthopedics

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/01/2017.

Forum Name: Osteoporosis

Question: Calcium Supplements - How Long?

jmgray - Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:14 am

eGreetings,

Thank you so much for this free service!

I would like to know how long does it take for Calcuim Supplements to start working?

And at what intervals should I have the bone density test done?

Thank you very much for your time and assistance.

Kind Regards,
Jeri
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sun Apr 29, 2007 5:54 pm

User avatar Restoration of bone density is a slow process. Generally a follow up bone density scan can be done one or two years after calcium supplementation has been started.

Calcium supplementation should contain some vitamin D also to help improve calcium absorption from the GI tract.

Best wishes. I'm glad you are enjoying our site.
 jmgray - Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:30 pm

Thank you so much for your answer.

Have a terrific day!

Kind Regards,
Jeri

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us