Medical Specialty >> Orthopedics

Question: Broken hand?

mode6g - Fri May 11, 2007 4:53 pm

Hello I'm a 30yo female and I was in a minor car accident a month ago and I hurt my hand and it still hurts.
I was holding the wheel at 10 and 2 when someone pulled out in front of me. I tried to break. I locked my elbows to brace for the impact but ended up hitting the other car at approx 20 mph. My hand jammed into the steering wheel and now, a month later, the joints where my thumb amd forefinger attach to my palm still hurt. The swelling has gone down and I can move all of my fingers and my wrist, but I can't put and weight on my thumb or forefinger.
Is it possible that something could be broken even though I was only holding the wheel and driving 20 mph?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri May 11, 2007 8:42 pm

User avatar I would recommend that you have your hand evaluated and probably get some x-rays. Fractures are possible, even at this lower speed.