Medical Specialty >> Orthopedics

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/01/2017.

Forum Name: Bone trauma and fractures

Question: possible broken leg?

 CJ107064ever - Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:02 pm

Hi, ok well I was recently at an amusement park 2 days ago and I was on some bumper cars and some one hit me really hard and my leg got hit on the steering wheel really hard and when i got off it hurt really really bad and it was somewhat hard to walk and at first there was a dark bruise. It was like a dark purple, and then it got swollen and it hurt to touch it. Well its been the 2 days and it's not so dark in color and it still hurts alot to touch and just a little bit ago I had started to walk to the kitchen from my computer(only a few feet) and I got this really bad pain in the back of my leg so I didn't go into the kitchen since it hurt so bad to walk. There is a line of the bruise and it goes across my shin bone like this / . I tried to feel for a broken bone but it hurts to bad to feel real good and its still swollen not as much but it still is. I don't know if its broke or not or just really swollen. If its broke it might be a hairline fracture. Also if i try and stretch my leg it hurts.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:46 pm

User avatar You may have fractured your leg. It is also possible that you have simply badly bruised it (which can hurt tremendously and for some time).

Since you are not able to walk well and there is still significant pain when pressing on the bone I would recommend you see your doctor or go to the urgent care for an evaluation and an x-ray to see if there is a fracture.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us