Medical Specialty >> Orthopedics

Question: Broken ankle

rachel_wolter - Sat Aug 18, 2007 4:06 pm

Hi I am a 32 year old female who just started playing co-ed softball recently. I got hit on the inside of my ankle with a soft ball that was being thrown pretty fast. About 5 days after that happened, my inside ankle started swelling, then the pain came. It has been 10 days since I have noticed the swelling and pain and my ankle is still swollen and hurts with a pain that is usually a pretty constant dull pain. Could it be broken or does it sound more like a sprain? I keep it wrapped when I am on it and elevated when I can but it doesn't really help with the swelling or pain.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:31 pm

User avatar Hi Rachel_wolter,

You may very well have a fracture. Softballs can carry quite a punch to them. A softball could very easily carry enough force to fracture a bone.

I would recommend you have this evaluated since the pain has been persisting for more than a week. At this point, if there is a fracture it is likely to show up on the x-ray.