Medical Specialty >> Orthopedics

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/01/2017.

Forum Name: Bone trauma and fractures

Question: Broken ankle

rachel_wolter - Sat Aug 18, 2007 4:06 pm

Hi I am a 32 year old female who just started playing co-ed softball recently. I got hit on the inside of my ankle with a soft ball that was being thrown pretty fast. About 5 days after that happened, my inside ankle started swelling, then the pain came. It has been 10 days since I have noticed the swelling and pain and my ankle is still swollen and hurts with a pain that is usually a pretty constant dull pain. Could it be broken or does it sound more like a sprain? I keep it wrapped when I am on it and elevated when I can but it doesn't really help with the swelling or pain.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:31 pm

User avatar Hi Rachel_wolter,

You may very well have a fracture. Softballs can carry quite a punch to them. A softball could very easily carry enough force to fracture a bone.

I would recommend you have this evaluated since the pain has been persisting for more than a week. At this point, if there is a fracture it is likely to show up on the x-ray.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us