Medical Specialty >> Orthopedics

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/01/2017.

Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: odontoid and c2 fractures

 Delanie - Sun Aug 19, 2007 4:19 pm

40 y/o male went 12 days with a unidentified comminuted fracture through the body of C2 extending to involve the odontoid process base and extending into the right portion of the odontoid process. the fracture extends to the right lateral mass but posteriorly appears intact. There is a retropulsed fragment identied, posteriorly.
the base of the odontoid narrowing the AP dimenion of the canal to 1 cm at the level of the base of the odontoid peg. As well there is mild anterior displacement of the odontiod of 6 mmwith as well mild anterior angulation of 10 degrees. the lateral mass of C1 are intact. Facets show normal alignment.
Question is halo or surgery, and the out come of each option. Anterior surgery not an option.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:21 pm

User avatar Hi Delanie,

This is a bit of a case dependent answer. Unfortunately, I am not knowledgeable enough about these types of fractures to recommend surgery or a halo. I have seen many patients placed in halo's with good outcomes; however, with the displaced portions of the fracture surgery may be needed.

I would recommend you discuss this with a neurosurgeon that can look at your scans to see exactly how the fractures line up and advise you better on which approach would be most appropriate.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us