Medical Specialty >> Orthopedics

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/01/2017.

Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: Chronic muscle spasm? Over a year?

 bear1666 - Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:05 pm

26/M, no surgeries or major injuries. However for more than a year now, I have had intermittent severe tightness/pain in the mid-right part of my back. Some days are better than others but it never goes away entirely. Deep breaths hurt. Sitting in a chair and twisting my body to the left is the most painful. I think this originally stemmed from not stretching well enough before a softball game (after not being active for a while) and then compounded by landing hard on my back during a football game. I've had x-rays done twice, everything looks ok. I've taken muscle relaxants and anti-inflammatories. Been to a Chiropractor - that didn't help at all. Massage seemed to make it worse. My PCP can't pinpoint it. The general concensus (or hypothesis I suppose) is that it's a muscle or group of muscles that are in constant spasm. But for over a year?? I've played sports all my life and I've been injured of course but I've never had anything persist even close to this long. Is it possibly a rib or maybe even a lung? If it is a muscle - how can I remedy this when stretching seems to make it worse? Please advise, I feel like this is never going to go away...
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:11 pm

User avatar Have you ever had any physical therapy? It seems like a logical option so talk to your doctor about this possibility and a referral. Also, you may need to take a prescription type of anti-inflammatory over a long period of time. You didn't mention how long or how much you took before. Sometimes people do not take the medication in a dose that's high enough to actually bring down the inflammation. So, if your doctor prescribes something, be sure you give it sufficient time in an adequate dosage to determine its value.

Best wishes

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us