Medical Specialty >> Orthopedics

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/01/2017.

Forum Name: Bone trauma and fractures

Question: Knuckle on pinky finger pain...

frozenfinger - Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:05 pm

HI there, about a month ago I was hit by a softball on my pinky finger. At the time it bruised and swelled at the knuckle almost immediately. For about a week after the side of my hand from tip of my pinky to the bottom of my hand was bruised. Now it's a month later, and there is a redness, slight swelling and soreness on the palm of my hand at the pinky knuckle. It still causes discomfort to move the finger and is sore to touch. Should I have it looked at?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:59 pm

User avatar Hi Frozenfinger,

The force of a softball hitting the hand can be enough to fracture a bone. I would recommend you have this evaluated. This way, if there is a fracture, you can be sure it heals properly.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us