Medical Specialty >> Orthopedics

Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: How bad is my back?

belk - Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:47 pm

I am a 50 year old woman. Iam about 15-20 pounds over what I should be. I have had leg and back pain for months. Had a MRI and that says "Shallow left paracentral disc herniation at L5-S1. Small bilateral facet joint effusions ar L-4-5. left paracentral annular tear at L1- level. Far left intraforminal zone annular tear at L3-4." What does this mean? Have been on pain meds and over the counter pain meds for a long time {I stoped taking the class 2 pain drugs 1 year ago hate the way the make me feel}
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:55 pm

I can certainly understand your frustration if you have results of an MRI without explanation. I would refer you to the doctor who ordered the test. Make an appointment to discuss your results if you haven't done that already. Your doctor is best qualified to explain this to you and you have every right to get this information in a way you can understand it. Be assertive if necessary and let them know you are confused about the test results.

Best wishes