Medical Specialty >> Orthopedics

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/01/2017.

Forum Name: Bone trauma and fractures

Question: Misdiagnosed talus fracture

 Serge_rr - Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:24 am

i'm a 24 year old male. I have had an accident falling from the a wall around three meters high and it was four and a half months ago (04/06/07 to be exact). Initially I was diagnosed with distortion of talocrural joint (2nd degree). But as the pain in my ankle did not get any better over time and in fact it increased. My first orthopedist sent me to do a CT of the TC joint. That CT showed an unhealed fracture of the medial portion of the talus. After that I've been to two other doctors who sent me to ask for second opinion because they were, as they said, more of a knee specialist. A few days ago I did a MS-CT which showed the same big fragment and also a few other smaller ones (up to 0,5 cm).
Pain in the ankle is bearable but quite uncomfortable when I'm not active, but during any activity that includes standing and walking it gets more paintful.
Also I experience some pain flexing my big toe, which is probably due to the fact that the fracture goes through sulcus of the FHL muscle tendon.

My question is what is your opinion the treatment should be. It's been more than four months since the accident. And the fragment clearly isn't going to heal on it's own. Is surgery the best way to go, actually is there an alternative? If so, is the fragment suitable for arthroscopic surgery or open surgery would be required? And what are long term consequences of the procedure or if some other less invasive method would relieve the pain? Also I would like to know is there a techinque of reattaching the fragment after such a long time?

In the attachment you'll find transverse and coronal section of the MS-CT scan. Upon request I can deliver all the images from the scan.

Thank you.

 Dr. Chan Lowe - Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:17 pm

User avatar Hi Serge_rr,

Unfortunately this really is a pretty specialized question that an orthopedic surgeon should answer. Currently, we do not have an orthopedic surgeon on our editorial board.

Just based on my knowledge of orthopedics I suspect that this probably needs to be surgically repaired, although I can't be sure. I am unable to comment regarding laparoscopic vs. open surgical correction.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us