Medical Specialty >> Orthopedics

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/01/2017.

Forum Name: Bone trauma and fractures

Question: Fractured finger?

EmuSoda - Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:22 pm

ok so i was playing volleyball with some friends and something went wrong and i tried to hit the ball and it hit my pinky finger dead on. I already searched online and its called a "jammed finger". But heres where the problems starts most jammed fingers the pain goes away in 15 minutes but i still have pain and its been 36 hours since the injury, sure the pain is less then before but it still hurts. I also noticed i cant bend it all the way it stops at a certain point and really hurts when i try to, i also cant make it straight because that makes it hurt too. So is my finger fractured?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:05 am

User avatar Hi EmuSoda,

It is possible that you have fractured your finger. It is also possible that the joint itself is injured, commonly referred to as a "jammed finger" as you've said. Joint injuries such as this can actually continue to produce a significant amount of pain and swelling for several days. They slowly get better over time.

It can be difficult to distinguish the two without an x-ray so if your pain is still significant and you are worried you have a fracture I would recommend you have your doctor take a look at this.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us