Medical Specialty >> Orthopedics

Question: Fractured finger?

EmuSoda - Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:22 pm

ok so i was playing volleyball with some friends and something went wrong and i tried to hit the ball and it hit my pinky finger dead on. I already searched online and its called a "jammed finger". But heres where the problems starts most jammed fingers the pain goes away in 15 minutes but i still have pain and its been 36 hours since the injury, sure the pain is less then before but it still hurts. I also noticed i cant bend it all the way it stops at a certain point and really hurts when i try to, i also cant make it straight because that makes it hurt too. So is my finger fractured?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:05 am

User avatar Hi EmuSoda,

It is possible that you have fractured your finger. It is also possible that the joint itself is injured, commonly referred to as a "jammed finger" as you've said. Joint injuries such as this can actually continue to produce a significant amount of pain and swelling for several days. They slowly get better over time.

It can be difficult to distinguish the two without an x-ray so if your pain is still significant and you are worried you have a fracture I would recommend you have your doctor take a look at this.