Medical Specialty >> Orthopedics

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/01/2017.

Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: mid back pain & spasm -- 5yrs

 alaskan - Sun Nov 25, 2007 2:27 am

Female age 38 schoolteacher

5 yrs ago pulled muscle in midback rh side.
never recovered. Now have severe muscle spasm & chronic pain.

Have seen Family Physician, PT, Pain Specialist, Orthopedic Specialist....have had x-rays, mri....have tried TENS, PT (massage & exercise), RF treatment...

Currently taking Fentanly pain patches & anti-inflamatories.

The pain is getting worse....not better. Where can I go for help? I am worried that I may not be able to work much longer with this pain.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:26 pm

User avatar Hi Alaskan,

Back pain can be extremely difficult to evaluate and relieve. Occasionally, repeat imaging after a period of time may show something new that explains the pain. Unfortunately, I don't have any great advice for you. Continue to follow up with your doctor. If you have not tried a muscle relaxant this may be something to try.

You may also want to consider seeing a spinal orthopedic specialist.

Best wishes.
 thelma louise - Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:31 am

i am 44 years old and have basically the same symtoms and i wear the fentanyl patches 100mcp some dosage like that anyways where do you find is the best place to put the patches and it hurts so bad i know the pain your in i would like a reply thank you

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us