Medical Specialty >> Orthopedics

Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: severe upper back, neck pain

NCRW40 - Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:36 am

Hello all, I'm a 40 y/o male, 6' 3, 228lbs & am having some serious problems with my neck/back. I haven't been to a Doctor yet but i'm planning to go soon. I have a swollen area in the middle of my back just below my neck. My skin is numb in this area & when pressed on i get a kind of sharp pain that shoots towards my left shoulder. I've had this for at least 4 years now. i have other problems that have to be related to this that seem to be getting worse with time. I'm very stiff in the mornings & when i get home from work. my hands shake, i get really bad migraines from time to time & they are always on the left. I have a tightness in the left side of my neck/back always. I get muscle spasms in my legs, eyelids. The past few days i have a sore area on top of my left foot, feels like it was hit with something heavy. I can't hardly lift either of my arms over my head, & when i do my shoulders crunch. I have multiple earlobe knots. My feet are always ice cold & sometime my hands. Also, i've noticed when i look at my self in a mirror one shoulder looks shorter & higher than the other. & when i walk it feels like one leg is shorter/higher. I've read enough online to know that all my symptoms aren't good, & it could be a number of things. I have an older sister that has degenerative disc disease & i had a Great Uncle that was hunched over really bad, so i guess it could be in the family? Anyhow, any input would be appreciated! Thanks, NCRW40
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:53 pm

User avatar Hi NCRW40,

It sounds like you may have a disk that is pushing on your spinal cord. I would recommend you see your doctor for an evaluation.