Medical Specialty >> Orthopedics

Question: Sprained Elbow?

joeyy - Wed Dec 26, 2007 5:12 pm

ok so basically i went snowboarding over the weekend and i pretty much landed with my arm locked straight with the palm of my hand making contact with the ground first. my arm felt like it got jammed, similar to jamming a finger. i was able to move my arm right away, bending it was not a problem. However when i made my arm straight, and bent it i would hear 3 small popping sounds. I was given a sling right away and i went home and iced it up.

The following day it swelled up like crazy. i was unable to bend it much without any pain. 3 days later, which is today the swelling went down a little. I am now able to bend it some, but i feel a bit of tightness when i am trying to fully bend it. i can make a right angle out of my arm but if i bend it any further than that i feel the tightness and it would begin to hurt. I can almost fully extend my arm, but if i start to twist it a little it would begin to hurt. I can rotate my wrist and move all my fingers without any pain, i can also make a really tight fist and rotate that around. Most of the swelling is going on at the bottom of my triceps, right around the elbow area.

i am really curious to know what kind of injury i suffered and if it seems serious to you guys. i don't know if i should just let it heal on its own or go get it checked out. everyday it has gotten a little better, but not by much. thanks
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:09 pm

User avatar Hi Joeyy,

It is quite possible to sprain the elbow (just as one would sprain the ankle). A finger "jam" is actually also a sprain of the finger joint. The mechanism of injury that you are describing could cause a sprained elbow. It could also cause a fracture.

If you are having any specific point tenderness I would suggest that you see your doctor as this can be a sign of a fracture. Otherwise, from what you are describing it sounds like you are slowly improving as would be expected of a sprain. If you stop getting better or if your pain gets worse you should see your doctor also.

joeyy - Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:25 pm

Hello, thank you for the response, it makes me feel a bit better. i was wondering though, let's say my bone is fractured, would it be too late to go get it fixed if i went to see a doctor tomorrow? i was injured about 5 days ago