Medical Specialty >> Orthopedics

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/01/2017.

Forum Name: Bone trauma and fractures

Question: Sprained Elbow?

joeyy - Wed Dec 26, 2007 5:12 pm

ok so basically i went snowboarding over the weekend and i pretty much landed with my arm locked straight with the palm of my hand making contact with the ground first. my arm felt like it got jammed, similar to jamming a finger. i was able to move my arm right away, bending it was not a problem. However when i made my arm straight, and bent it i would hear 3 small popping sounds. I was given a sling right away and i went home and iced it up.

The following day it swelled up like crazy. i was unable to bend it much without any pain. 3 days later, which is today the swelling went down a little. I am now able to bend it some, but i feel a bit of tightness when i am trying to fully bend it. i can make a right angle out of my arm but if i bend it any further than that i feel the tightness and it would begin to hurt. I can almost fully extend my arm, but if i start to twist it a little it would begin to hurt. I can rotate my wrist and move all my fingers without any pain, i can also make a really tight fist and rotate that around. Most of the swelling is going on at the bottom of my triceps, right around the elbow area.

i am really curious to know what kind of injury i suffered and if it seems serious to you guys. i don't know if i should just let it heal on its own or go get it checked out. everyday it has gotten a little better, but not by much. thanks
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:09 pm

User avatar Hi Joeyy,

It is quite possible to sprain the elbow (just as one would sprain the ankle). A finger "jam" is actually also a sprain of the finger joint. The mechanism of injury that you are describing could cause a sprained elbow. It could also cause a fracture.

If you are having any specific point tenderness I would suggest that you see your doctor as this can be a sign of a fracture. Otherwise, from what you are describing it sounds like you are slowly improving as would be expected of a sprain. If you stop getting better or if your pain gets worse you should see your doctor also.

Best wishes.
 joeyy - Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:25 pm

Hello, thank you for the response, it makes me feel a bit better. i was wondering though, let's say my bone is fractured, would it be too late to go get it fixed if i went to see a doctor tomorrow? i was injured about 5 days ago

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us