Medical Specialty >> Orthopedics

Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: Humped Neck

Andy383 - Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:58 am

Hello. My name is Andy and I'm 19....I weigh about 180. A lot of the weight contributes to muscle as I've lifted a lot in the past two years. My question is that I have a hump at the top of my spine, bottom neck. When I feel it, it kind of feels like the bone stick out further than others. When I move my shoulders back, it's not as noticeable. It doesn't feel fatty or anything. I was also thinking that it might be my shoulder muscles, but when I look at weight lifters, they don't have the hump where mine is. It's kind of like right on my spine which makes me think it's the bone. Thanks for any help. I have some anxiety so it's been bothering me lately.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:54 pm

User avatar Hi Andy383,

You may be feeling the lowest spine of the neck. Spinal bones have 3 prongs on them, two that go to the side called the transverse processes and one that points out called the spinous process. On the lowest neck spinal bone the spinous process is commonly more prominent than the other parts of the spine.

If the lump is large I would suggest you have it checked out by your doctor. If it is limiting your neck movement in any way I would also recommend you have it evaluated.