Medical Specialty >> Orthopedics

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/01/2017.

Forum Name: Bone trauma and fractures

Question: 2 yr old child w/ broken arm

 rachel - Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:34 pm

my daughter broke her arm 11/13/07, the doctor did not cast it. they said because it was a twist break it would heal in 2-3 weeks and it would just need to be splinted. that was almost 2 months ago. I am starting to get concerned as to why it is not healing like they said it would? Typically how long does a break like this take to heal? the break is a few inches above her wrist. thanks
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:27 pm

User avatar Hi Rachel,

It sounds as if your daughter has a spiral fracture (twist fracture). In general, fractures of children's bones heal very, very well, even if there is a significant angle to the two bone parts. What is needed for them to heal is for the bones to be immobilized. There needs to be immobilization of the joints above and below the fracture. If it is the lower arm, the wrist and elbow should be immobilized. If it is the upper arm, the elbow and shoulder need to be immobilized.

The reason to immobilize the joints is because even though the bone may not be able to move if splinted/casted without the joints, the bones can still be moved when the joint moves. A splint, if done properly can be just as good as a cast at immobilizing the joints/bones.

Typical healing time is 6-8 weeks for a fracture. If it is not healing well I would recommend that she see an orthopedic specialist (bone specialist).

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us