Medical Specialty >> Orthopedics

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/01/2017.

Forum Name: Degenerative Bone Diseases

Question: Degenerative Bone Disease in a twelve year old.

 HappyLady27 - Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:14 am

Hi everyone I hope you all are doing well.
My niece was having horrid back pain, so bad that she was crippleing over. She was takein to the doctors and had scans and all sorts of tests. The doctors were ballfed that a twelve year old had degenerative bone disease. She has four buldging diskes and one that is so deterierated that it basically gone. My sister had back surgery for this, also my mother and brother have this.Is this herreditary ? Is it odd that a twelve year old has this? My mother thinks that it was brought out becuse my niece fell and hit her back when she was two years old. That is a big streach. Could that bring something like that out? I thank you for reading this I just am very curiouse.

Happy Lady
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:35 am

User avatar Hello Happy Lady,

I would recommend your niece see her pediatrician and possibly an endocrinologist. While it is possible that some trauma led to this, I would be concerned that she may have some problems with her calcium regulation. I would recommend her vitamin D and parathyroid hormone levels be tested to look for any conditions such as rickets or other similar problems. Follow up with her doctor is important.

Best wishes.
 HappyLady27 - Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:56 pm

Thank you very much for replaying to me, my sister had took her to the doctor she had went to for her back, however she is also going to get a second oppinon thanks for the advice.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us