Medical Specialty >> Orthopedics

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/01/2017.

Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: long term treatment for severe back pain

 portangelesboyd - Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:31 pm

Hello i would like to get advice on long term treatment for back pain i have had 4 surgeries to treat grade 3 spondylolethesis l-4-s-1 plus severe stenosis of l-5 nerve canal sorry if my description isnt exact the terms my docs use are hard to remember. nothing has worked to ease my agony i have done pt and tried many different non narcotic meds with no help. most narcotic meds give me relief but i would like to know what ones are best for long term or what other options do i have? thank you steve
 John Kenyon, CNA - Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:19 pm

User avatar Hello -

If nerve pain blockers have been tried and failed there are limited non-narcotic drug approaches. If you are prescribed opioids for the pain then they'll range from the relatively mild (tramadol) to long-acting morphine in capsule form, but these approaches (especially the latter) have their untoward side effects, especially as you move up the ladder in terms of their power to mask pain. You and your doctor will have to sit down and discuss all the pros and cons of opioid therapy, but only if nerve pain blockers or an injected nerve block have been tried first. You might also look into accupuncture, which is effective for a number of patients when medication doesn't work.

There is, of course, also the possibility of further surgery, which again would have to be discussed in terms of risk vs. benefit. Each potential remedy has its pros and cons. Finding a doctor who specializes in pain management (often a neurologist) is probably your best bet.

Good luck to you with this.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us