Medical Specialty >> Orthopedics

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/01/2017.

Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: Intraarticular Joint Injection

 bmsammler - Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:23 pm

My wife has injured her back at work. Although she does have a pcp and regular health insurance she was sent to a redicare type clinic and was eventually referred to orthopedics. She has had very little dr contact there and most of it was negative. She has spent about 1.5 hours per week in pt for the last two months. She did stop taking meds because of sever hives and mouth and throat swelling. When she told her Dr this she was told that she was bringing it on herself. When the Phys Therapist observed it she made some phone calls and told her to stop taking the meds. About a month ago she did have an mri which showed a little stenosis but nothing unusual Two weeks ago she was referred to a pain clinic who gave here the 6 most painfull shots she ever had in her life. (diagnostic Nerve block) There was no positve result from this. The dr did not contact her afterwards but simply scheduled a intraarticular SI injection. They haven't even explained what this is or why they want to do it. We do not feel comfortable that the PT was appropriate or adequate, that the orthopedics office worked well for us or that the pain center is being upfront about what they are doing for procedeures. She does not want to be one of their permanant customers. Question: Should we be concerned that the Pain Dr feels he has a green light to do extensive needle therapy, are there other alternatives Can and should she go to her PCP for a sort of treatment intervention and seek second opinions?
thanks You in advance
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:09 pm

User avatar Hello -

Whether or not the acute care clinic and/or the pain clinic have been appropriate (and it certainly sounds as though they were not), if you haven't been satisfied with the care for any reason, you (or your wife) should certainly seek a different source of care, especially because of the ignoring the potentially serious reaction to pain meds and the failure to communicate with you (or your wife) about what's going on and what's being done. I would definitely involve the regular PCP for a second opinion (or perhaps make it the first one, in reverse order). It seems your wife hasn't been very well served by the providers she's been referred to thus far.

Good luck to the both of you. Please feel free to follow up with us here.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us