Medical Specialty >> Orthopedics

Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: Increasing pain in lower back region

lhshcky2001 - Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:42 pm

Hi I recently injured myself doing a child hold (TCI hold) last week during my job. Each day the pain has gotten worse. It this sharp pain in my lower back and it hurts to breath, sneeze, (anything minute hurts this region of my body). I thought it was just a muscle strain, but it feels like its worse, but don't know what else it could be.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:53 am

User avatar I hope your back has improved by now. Sorry for the delayed response.
It is important in acute low back pain to take pain medicine. Usually start with ibuprofen or acetaminophen; ice packs (in the initial 48hours of pain or injury) then switch to heating pad; and rest. If no improvement, then see physician for evaluation and pain management.
Most acute low back pain resolves in 30 days regardless of treatment (chiropractor, physical therapy, bedrest, exercise, pain meds). Too much bedrest however weakens muscles around the spine and can lead to chronic problems so it is important to move within painfree limits.
Keep us posted.