Medical Specialty >> Orthopedics

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/01/2017.

Forum Name: Bone trauma and fractures

Question: heel foot trama

 missthorn - Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:29 am


5 days ago I jumped down from a high wall and hurt the heel of my foot. I though that I had just bruised it but it swelled up.

Now it is very painful to walk on and is swollen at the ankle. There is a little bruising but not much. The rest of my foot is fine. There is no heat and I can move my ankle without a problem. I can put pressure on the ball of my foot without a problem aswell.

Do you think I should get an xray or is it just bruising that should do down?

Thank you for any advice you can give me.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:38 am

User avatar Sorry about the delay in response.

Any high impact trauma (e.g a fall from a high wall) that results in pain, swelling, loss of motion or function should be xray'd to rule out fracture.

How did things turn out with your foot?

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us