Medical Specialty >> Orthopedics

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/01/2017.

Forum Name: Bone trauma and fractures

Question: Damaged knuckle?

 StarFishMermaid - Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:16 pm

Hi i hit the wall with my fist 2 days ago and since then my knuckle has been slightly swollen and when i touch it it feels as if something's grating a gravelly sensation- also when i move my finger. I can move my hand and fingers fine and its not agony just a little sore with movement. Have i done some damage to my knuckle?? what should i do to fix it?? Too embarrassed to go to the hospital !! Some advice would be great thanks :)
 John Kenyon, CNA - Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:27 pm

User avatar Hello -

This probably warrants a visit to the doctor or an acute care walk-in clinic, since it sounds as though you may have done some damage to the bursa in the joint or caused some other damage. It may not be especially worrisome right now, and it may well resolve on its own, but if it doesn't it could result in permanent irritation and eventually require far more than the simple care it may need right now. Since I can't see it or feel it, let alone x-ray it, I can't in good conscience tell you to just ice it and wait to see what happens. Hopefully it's fine, and the fine details of how you came to punch a wall really aren't essential information.

I hope this is helpful. Best of luck to you.
 Dr. John K Aviani - Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:04 pm

Yes, Dr. Kenyon is correct you would benefit to going to your primary care physician or your local Emergency Department for an x-ray. For now I would ice it constantly to slow down the swelling. If it continues to hurt with movement I would prefer you to take you appropriate low dose pain killer like Advil which is an Ibuprofen supplement. If you do so,follow correct dosage instructions or contact your doctor just to be sure. Please do not be embarrassed about your nucleus or any medical condition you may have because as an orthopedic physician I see a lot of interesting cases.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us