Medical Specialty >> Orthopedics

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/01/2017.

Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: very painfull lump above coccyx!

prodigy1 - Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:39 pm

The lump comes and goes, but lately it is here on a much longer base, when i push on it there is some blood that comes out of a small hole right at the tail bone.It is very sore now and i am worried.if there is anyone who can shine some light on this i would be very greatfull

Thanks
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:32 pm

User avatar Hello -

It sounds as though there is a boil or abcess of some sort. This is actually not an ususual place for these things to develop. If you can apply warm, moist compresses on it, or sit in a warm bath (not hot) it may help the thing to drain and heal, but it may require a doctor to drain it or prescribe antibiotics in order for it to completely resolve.

I hope this is helpful. Good luck to you.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us