Medical Specialty >> Orthopedics

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/01/2017.

Forum Name: Osteoporosis

Question: Pins and needles / numbness in thumb and index finger

 bgengine - Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:03 am

Hi, I have pins and needles in my thumb, index finger and middle finger ( left hand) for the past 2 weeks. I can't remember hurting any part of my body - though I have a habit of sleeping in a curled up way on my left shoulder - and approx 2 weeks ago i did wake up with apain in my sholder. the pain in my shoulder has since gone - but the pins and needles ( some times numbness ) in my hand persists.
I expect I may have damaged a nerve or something but am wondering if there is anything I can do to help remove the tingly feeling in my fingers. Should I put an ice pack or heat pack on it ? ( but where? - what part of my arm?) Should I do excercises ?
What would happen in the long term if it is left untreated ? - do nerves fix themselves ?

 John Kenyon, CNA - Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:36 pm

User avatar Hi there -

It sounds as though you may have something pressing on the radial or medial nerve on that side, probably in the area of the shoulder, but there's no guarantee it's there. It could be somewhere else higher up or further down. The problem is that nerves not only don't fix themselves, they also rarely get out from under things that are pressing them nor move themselves back into their native postions, at least without some outside help, which can range from physical therapy to minor surgery.

First thing to do would be to see a neurologist who can help determine which nerve is causing the symptoms and locate where the impingement is located. Once that's done he (or she) can refer you to either physical therapy or a neurosurgeon who can free the entrapped nerve or get things back into proper alignment. Sometimes with this sort of problem the solution is as simple as doing certain types of stretching exercises. It all depends. It seems likely the problem is fairly simple since there's no known trauma.

I hope this helps. Best of luck to you with this.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us