Medical Specialty >> Orthopedics

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/01/2017.

Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: severe right side neck and lower back pain big

 kmbrlyd28 - Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:17 am

i am 28 years old i have sufered from 3 years of back pain and neck pain i also have a lump above my right side pelvic bone i can move it a round it feel like a big wedge in my back ialso have burning going down my right arm and leg why is my whole right side being affected and not my left ive been to back dr physical therapy and pain mangement had injections helped alittle but pain always comes back with a vengence my back dr said i have disc deteriation disease and my c5 is severlly buldged and my L3 L4 AND L5 are also severly buldged i cant work due to my pain i have disco gram scheduled for my neck then im supposed to get one for lower back why could this be happening only my right side i also have severe anxiety attack that stem from my nerves i had a pda closure in 2003 and hand lyme disease in 1997 carpel tunnel right hand surgery 2007 and suffer from severe migrains occasionally could any of this be related what is this lump in my lower right side of my back please help im desperate im a mom with 3 kids and cant even play with them im in to much pain
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:52 pm

User avatar There is a lot going on with you.
To answer the question about why the right side only.
Bulging disks, or pinched nerves, or spine arthiritis usually affects one side or the other...very common. I am guessing that you are right handed. Handedness and posture make a difference with spine pain. A simple thing to do is watch how much weight you spend standing on one leg or the other. Try to distribute your weight evenly over both sides. Also watch for slumping rounded shoulders and forward head positions. With anxiety and fatigue most people slouch. This places undue stress on the spine.
 kmbrlyd28 - Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:30 pm

im actually left handed odd and what is the lump in my lower back ive been told it could be many things but it hurts severly it feel like wedge in my back what dr should i see to check this lump out its been there for 3 years and has no signs of going away it i can move it around also its right above my pelvic bone and goes up yo my top right bottom side of my back i need help cause i think it may be more serious
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:35 pm

User avatar A movable lump over the right pelvic area...tender. For removal, a general surgeon should be able to handle it unless the lump (cyst or lypoma) is adherant to the bone or vertebrae in which case an orthopedic surgeon may be the better route.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us