Medical Specialty >> Orthopedics

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/01/2017.

Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: tenderness in neck and shoulder with knot in neck

riottgrrl1982 - Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:36 pm

I am a 26 year old social worker. I have had post partum cardiomyopathy and cervical and uternine cancer. I have also suffered from migraines since I was 17 after I flipped my car off a cliff and landed the car upside down on my head. I woke up this morning with pain and tenderness in my neck and shoulder, which is normal for me anyway. I started massaging my neck and found a hard lump that is very tender to the touvh. It is not swollen or red so I don't think it is an ingrown hair. I don't think it is a lymp node since I haven't been sick. I was wondering what it could be and if I should go to the doctor. It hurts pretty bad. I took some motrin and it still hurts!!!! Please help!
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:43 pm

User avatar Hello,
You have reported a new sore lump on the neck which was noticed during massage. There is no change in the skin.

Is the lump mobile or fixed? Is it a knot in the muscle (contained within the muscle)? Trigger points can develop in certain aspects of the shoulder and neck especially with a history of neck pain.

Trigger points can be treated with ice massage, manual massage, heat, acupressure, or stretching.

If this does not improve or worsens, see a physician.

Let us know how it goes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us