Medical Specialty >> Orthopedics

Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: tenderness in neck and shoulder with knot in neck

riottgrrl1982 - Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:36 pm

I am a 26 year old social worker. I have had post partum cardiomyopathy and cervical and uternine cancer. I have also suffered from migraines since I was 17 after I flipped my car off a cliff and landed the car upside down on my head. I woke up this morning with pain and tenderness in my neck and shoulder, which is normal for me anyway. I started massaging my neck and found a hard lump that is very tender to the touvh. It is not swollen or red so I don't think it is an ingrown hair. I don't think it is a lymp node since I haven't been sick. I was wondering what it could be and if I should go to the doctor. It hurts pretty bad. I took some motrin and it still hurts!!!! Please help!
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:43 pm

You have reported a new sore lump on the neck which was noticed during massage. There is no change in the skin.

Is the lump mobile or fixed? Is it a knot in the muscle (contained within the muscle)? Trigger points can develop in certain aspects of the shoulder and neck especially with a history of neck pain.

Trigger points can be treated with ice massage, manual massage, heat, acupressure, or stretching.

If this does not improve or worsens, see a physician.

Let us know how it goes.