Medical Specialty >> Orthopedics

Question: severe left rib and back pain

cjb393 - Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:21 pm

I fell down the basement stairs 4 days ago with the result of a large bruise on the left side of my back, now for the last 3 days I have severe pain when I take a deep breath, raise my arm to high or even try to lay on my left side. The pain is on my left side mid rib area/is it possible after this amount of time a cracked rib would just show up?
Thanks for your help
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:54 pm

If there is a cracked rib it would obviously resulted from the fall. The only way to find out is to do an xray.
With suspected rib fractures, it is important to have an xray done for a number of reasons. The lung tissue can be damaged with a rib fracture; you'll better know the length of healing time; and more caution to used for activities.
It is also important to take appropriate strength pain medicine to allow deep breathing. We want to prevent pneumonia.
Best bet is to see your physician for evaluation.
Let us know how it goes.