Medical Specialty >> Orthopedics

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/01/2017.

Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: my back gets stuck

 sarugli - Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:18 am

Hello, i've already posted on the forum about neck problems, but i have back problems too. I've had episodic back ache for about 3 years now. Now every day when i wake up i ache all over, and my back is painful around my waist, it takes me some time to want to get out of bed. Also, if i've been sitting for a while, when i stand up, i can't straighten my back immediately, i am bending forward for a minute. I am 37 years old, my doctor said we get back ache because we walk on two legs, but i am worried i have some kind of arthritis. I am sure i shouldn't feel so old already! Should i go to a specialist, and should i have any tests? thankyou.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:21 pm

User avatar Hello,
A rheumatologist might be good to consult about this. If there is inflammation there may be medical treatment to help but a good diagnosis would be in order first. Chronic pain interferes with daily living and even though being bipeds contributes to back problems, the majority of us don't go around in pain as a result so you should be able to get some help.

Best wishes.
 sarugli - Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:54 pm

Hello, just want to say thanks very much for replying! I will find out from my gp where i can go to see a rheumatologist.x
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:42 am

User avatar Keep us posted on how you do. Thanks for posting.

Good luck with this.
 sarugli - Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:35 am

i've now been diagnosed with mild hypertension, and having problems with palpitations. The doctor gave me kerlone, a beta blocker 10 mgs a day. Could this hypertension be related to my other problems in some way, maybe i need to check my calcium? The doctor said the hypertension is from smoking. I am not overweight.
 sarugli - Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:47 am

p.s i've also been having night sweats for some time, and these are getting worse, the bed clothes were completely wet the other day. This is not related to the medication, i only started that yesterday.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:41 am

User avatar Hello,
The hypertension is not likely related to the back problems or night sweats. However, you should report the symptoms to your doctor. Infections such as TB can cause night sweats but you can also get these due to hormonal fluctuation, especially if you are entering the perimenopausal period. This is a condition of reduced estrogen with symptoms that sometimes last up to 10 years prior to actual menopause. So, while you are young for this, it sometimes happens. I would see a doctor for a complete physical examination including thyroid, hormone levels, pelvic exam and TB testing.

Best wishes.
 sarugli - Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:34 am

thanks again for the help!
 sarugli - Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:41 pm

well, the night sweats seem to have improved. I stopped the beta blockers, as my blood pressure is now low, i only took the medication for about a week! My blood pressure has remained at around 105/65 for the past few months (i took the beta blockers months ago).
Don't know if i mentioned a neck x-ray showed loss of the normal cervical curve. I've now had a numb ring finger and little finger, and part of my palm for 3 weeks now, though it is only mild. A doctor told me to take movatec for a week, but this has not helped.
Don't really know if i should go back to the doctor.
I'm also having some kind of panic attacks every few weeks, where i feel really weak, it's a really terrible feeling. It feels like i can't move properly, and i need to urinate a lot. I feel better when i drink a lot of water. This seems to happen late at night, and it may be linked to eating high salt foods. These attacks started about 2 years ago, but they used to be only occasional. Do you think this is all psychological? thanks.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:56 pm

User avatar Hello,
Regarding the neck and the hand, you may considering seeing a physician who can evaluate your neck including a neurological exam.

The frequent urination should be evaluated for bladder infection or diabetes.

Take care.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us