Medical Specialty >> Orthopedics

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/01/2017.

Forum Name: Bone trauma and fractures

Question: hip surgery with pins

 sgraber - Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:23 pm

My mother (84) had hip surgery 3 months ago.
How does the surgeon determine if the bone has healed? She has had 1 x-ray,
everything looked normal but she still has hip and groin pain.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:08 pm

User avatar Hello,
Thanks for the question. The surgeon will look at the hips aligned making sure any hardware (pins, plates, rods, or replacement parts) are in good alignment and "well seated" - meaning that a new hip's components are not coming loose. He will also look for calcification along fracture lines.
3 months is sufficient time for healing.
It is not uncommon for the hip to hurt after it was fixed. If the surgery went well and the bone healed well, be reassured that the joint is good and safe to use it. The pain is probably from surrounding muscles, tendons, and ligament inflamation or soreness. Also, check leg lengths. Often after hip surgery, the operative leg length changes and can have an effect on pain levels and function.
Also, remember that she should continue to do her prescribed exercises.
The orthopedist can re check the hip at any time to make sure everything is intact and stable.
You may consider asking her physician about pain medicine too.

All the best to you and your Mom. Let us know if you have any more questions. Take care.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us