Question: Damaged knuckle

plug-in-frog - Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:55 am

Hullo.

I had a training accident earlier today and I ended up hitting a metal bar quite hard. My middle knuckle has swollen up mainly inbetween the second and third knuckle and over the bone.
It is extremely sore to clench my hand into a tight fist but I can close it over slightly.
Do you think it is safe for me to leave it for about a week or so before going to the doctors, because I'm in the middle of doing GCSE mocks and I would rather not risk having my hand put in a cast.

Thank you for your time.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:47 pm

Doing an xray on the hand and finger involved is wise. Unless a bone is sticking out of the skin, the only way of knowing a bone is fractured is with xray.
It is important to have the hand and finger examined in order to prevent the injury from worsening.
Let us know how it turns out.