Medical Specialty >> Orthopedics

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/01/2017.

Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: Serious Pain Under Right Shoulder Blade

 GreatDaneMom - Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:53 pm

Hello, I have been experiencing constant burning pain on the Right upper back/shoulder region. The pain feels like it is under my shoulder blade and The size of the painful region is about the size of credit card There is constant pain,almost feels like something is pulling.and it starts acting up when my head is down like looking at the floor. I cant sleep when it starts to burn. And sometime the pain will wrap around to my ribs almost under my breast. And if this helps when i try to rub it out,it makes my right arm go numb,and it tingles. when it is rubbed the pain get really painful.
Someone said it might be my galbadder, If it is how can i know for sure that it is? Should i change my diet? I really need help so i don't have to go to the hospital and get poked and proded on for no reason.

 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:20 pm

User avatar Hello,
The symptoms that you report do not sound like a gall bladder problem which typically causes right upper abdominal pain which radiates to the shoulder blade (your pain starts in the blade and wraps around to the front - wrong direction).
Abdominal pain worsen after eating especially fatty food. May have nausea and vomiting. If the gall bladder becomes infected or gangrenous, you may spike a fever and symptoms will worsen. Immediate medical attention is needed.

Pain that you described may be caused from a muscle strain/sprain in the posterior rib area, or in or around the shoulder blade. Pressing or massaging a trigger point or knotted up muscle can caused tingling or numbness in the arm.

It would be good to have a physician take your history, examine your belly and upper back and make sure this is only a muscle strain in which case ice/heat, NSAIDS, time, and gentle exercise will heal.

Keep us posted.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us