Medical Specialty >> Orthopedics

Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: bulging disk

heather5073 - Sun Dec 26, 2004 5:13 pm

:( My Dr reviewed my MRI and has informed me I have a bulging disk. He has refered me to a neurologist. I was hit by a car, while walking, and this is the result. The accident happened in June. I was seeing a chiropracter regularly, because I did not want to be on pain meds. But my pain has gotten worse. My neck/upper back hurts constantly,whether I am active or not. I do not know what to expect when I see the neurologist. And I certainly would welcome advice as to what to expect, as well as what not to do to make this worse. I am 29 and I feel like a geriatric patient.
 Dr. A. Saif - Sun Jan 16, 2005 6:01 am

User avatar Dear Heather,

Sorry Ii was unable to reply earlier...had some dodgy connection problems. Please see my response to hole-n-one...you seem to have fairly similar problems, although your problem is in the neck and not in the lower back. the only thing I would say in your case lies not with your disc, but with the muscles and ligaments in your neck and back. The symptoms your describe suggest to me that the problems may be related more to the muscuo-skeletal structures in your neck and upper back rather tha a trapped nerve that might be helped by a neurosurgeon...

If this were the case, then some physio might be more appropriate. If on the other hand, you are also getting pins and needles, numbness or weakness, or pain in your arms or limbs...then certainly neurosurgical advice may be warranted.

saif