Medical Specialty >> Orthopedics

Question: lateral malleolus stress fracture

ilovtudraw - Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:43 pm

hi i have a stress fracture of my lateral malleolus, a split in my peroneal tendons, achilles tendinitis measuring 1.2 inches thickened. and i have boney islands in my right ankle joint. all of this is on my right ankle. my pain is usually an 8 or 9 out of 10. im on methadone 10mg 2times daily, 25mg of oxycodone three times daily and 4 mg of dilaudid 4times daily. I was wondering wich problem is most severe and if all of them should be addressed. i also have peroneal palsy of my right leg with no function from the knee down and if this has anything to do with it. i have clonis, hyper reflexes and short tendons in my legs consistent with minor cp. i was wondering if anyone has any suggestions.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:45 am

Allowing the stress fracture to heal is important.
What was the cause of the stress fracture: spasms,overuse, trauma?
If the bony islands in the ankle are causing pain and dysfunction then talk to your orthopedist about surgical removal.
The thickening of achilles is probably due to chronic tendonitis.
Essentially, address the stress fracture and bony islands first and consider the entire lower extremity function for long term injury prevention. Do you wear braces? Have you had physical therapy? Any corrective surgery planned?

Hope this helps. Keep us posted.
 ilovtudraw - Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:40 pm

hi my neurologist has suggested and wrote an rx for a hkafo because the paralysis in my right leg has gotten worse. do you think this will help at all an do you know of any cases where a 19 year old has a hkafo?