Medical Specialty >> Orthopedics

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/01/2017.

Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: Neck Pain and Crunching

WelshMatt - Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:10 am

I was wondering if someone could help me with something that is concerning me. For the past few days I have had neck pain at the very base of my neck towards the left. Whenever I turn my head, I can hear a crunching sound coming from the neck in that region. I have isolated it to a single point on the axis of rotation and it clicks whenever my head goes past that point. It also makes me feel rather dizzy when this happens. I work at a computer and would consider myself to have bad posture. At work I view a number of different monitors, some of which are not in the most ergonomic position. I have been back at work for about a week after 15 days off, so maybe this pain is down to getting used to it again?

Also I play football and had an awkward fall on Tuesday, and as the pain came on Wednesday, I am worried that I may have damaged something in my neck without realising. Obviously, I don't want to go to a doctor for them to just tell me that it is nothing, so I was wondering whether you think that it could be something worth getting checked out.

Can someone please help?

Kind Regards,
Matt
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:32 pm

User avatar Hello Matt,
Often with neck strains and sprains, crunching sensations occur. Crunching tells me that the area is out of balance (muscle strength/tightness), has some inflammation, and/or in general needs some attention.

With pain, crunching is of more concern. A skilled chiropractor or osteopath may be of assistance to xray the neck and make any needed adjustments.

For sure, correcting posture on a daily basis as well as postural exercises throughout the week will preserve you neck for years to come. Very important.

Let us know how it goes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us