Medical Specialty >> Orthopedics

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/01/2017.

Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: Lower back pain with small dent.

gatemaster - Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:49 am

Hi, recently my lower back has been giving me problems for about a week or two and I don't exactly know what is happening. I noticed a small dent in the lower central part of my back where the pain is centered a few days ago. On the outside of it, my skin is red, swollen and painful to the touch. Everyday the pain slowly gets worse, but I haven't noticed the dent or swelling grow larger. My moms side of the family has a history of scoliosis, but they all had it when they were kids.(12-15) Is it possible that scoliosis could be the cause? Or could it be something a lot more serious? Please help as best as you can.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:36 am

User avatar Hello,
Scoliosis is a lateral curvature of the spine. It does not present with a dimple or red skin.
It will be important to have your family physician look at the back. With a red swollen skin area at the back area, you think about an abscess or skin infection/irritation.
Also, with the dimpling, checking for spondylolithesis (forward slippage of a vertebrae) is important. Your physician can palpate the spine for a "drop off" sign and order an xray.

Take care and let us know how it goes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us