Medical Specialty >> Orthopedics

Question: Broken Ribs - bruising returned,

remez16 - Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:00 pm

i broke my ribs 2 months ago, i was fine and they healed. however yesterday i went running and the bruising appeared again. today i have lost quite a bit of blood from my vagina, however im not due a period and im on the pill. ive also been coughing up blood over the last 2 months but ive put it down to having a cough or whatever. i am in pain with my ribs.
what do you think the fresh bruising means? and what do you advise i do?
thanks
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:28 am

I am sorry to hear about your condition.

Couging up blood is a sign of a potential serious condition (e.g. pneumonia, upper GI bleed) and should be evaluated by a physician.
I do not believe the vaginal bleeding is related to the cough or rib pain.
Not sure about the increased bruising. Bruising occurs from broken blood vessels in the skin and can last from days to weeks. You may have accidentally bump the area causing further bruising.

Certainly, follow up with your family physician is needed due to the coughing up blood.

Let us know how it goes. Take care.