Medical Specialty >> Orthopedics

Question: Can you walk on a fractured foot?

juleeann0621 - Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:58 pm

Yesterday morning, I slipped and my foot jammed under my china hutch. The impact was on the top of the foot, a little under the base of the big toe (right at the joint of the foot and the toe). I have had minor swelling,and minor to moderate pain. However, I can walk on my foot. What worries me is that I have stiffness in the big toe and cannot bend it all the way. Should I go ahead and have it looked at or wait and give it time to heal? I would not want it to heal improperly.

Thank you,
J
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:28 am

It is a common question whether or not to xray a jammed toe.

A toe can be fracture and the person be able to walk. Ability to walk, level of pain and swelling are somewhat helpful in assessing for toe fractures. However, if you suspect a fracture, it is important to xray it. Although the treatment (ice, elevation, rest, and usually budding taping) may not change, knowing there is or is not a fracture changes your level of activity, the amount of caution used in daily activities, and expected healing time.

So I would recommend an xray for a severely jammed toe.

Take care and let us know how it goes.