Medical Specialty >> Orthopedics

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/01/2017.

Forum Name: Bone trauma and fractures

Question: Shin bone pain

 samarasmom26 - Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:24 pm

Hello I am new here but am looking for some suggestions. For the past several months I have had pain in my lower legs. It feels like the bone cause if i walk or turn my legs they hurt but touch doesnt hurt. Also a sense of relief is when I stretch the legs or sit in hot water. For years I was told I had arthritis in my knees but 5 years later I was told that I do not have arthritis but that my knees were dislocated and last year I underwent 2 medial plications with lateral release. THis helped significantly but has not stopped the leg pain. It feels like my legs are bruised and aching but I cant touch the pain. It is so frustrating cause I have no idea what the cause is. Ive read about overworked muscles in my legs but I don't have any new habits and its not occasionally its been constant. Im not sure what else to include so if you have anyother questions I can answer but I hope someone has an idea of what the cause is.

thank you

 John Kenyon, CNA - Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:17 pm

User avatar Hi Sandra --

Bone pain is possible but rather unlikely, especially given your history. While you can't "touch" the pain, or reproduce it through prodding, it is relieved by stretching your legs and by immersion in warm water, so it's very likely due to either inflammation of muscle/connective tissue (although this should be possible to reproduce through prodding or very firm touch), or possibly shortened, somewhat atrophied muscle due to adjustment following plication and release. This may not cause tenderness by palpation, but would certainly cause some aching and might well be relieved by the methods you mention. If this works then perhaps this is the best approach: stretching and application of moist heat.

There is also the possibility this is nerve pain related to the procedures, and this may not be reproduceable by manual pressure. If this can be identified,the problem can be managed medically via pain blocking medications.

Hope this is helpful. Good luck to you. Please follow up with us as needed.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:23 am

User avatar Hello,
I agree with John's assessment and would like to elaborate on another possibility.

Another consideration is claudication either neurological or vascular. Claudication is a term which describes leg pain which increases during walking and sometimes standing. The pain usually occurs in both calves. In one case, the blood vessels ie arteries are clogged and prevent blood flow and oxygen to the muscles causing pain; in the second case spinal stenosis (narrowing of the spinal canal) pressing on central nerve tissue causing bilateral leg pain.
In any case, if what I have described in terms of pain in both legs especially the calf which worsens with standing or walking, see your physician for further testing.

All the best to you.
 samarasmom26 - Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:07 pm

THanks for your response. I went and had a bone scan about 2 weeks ago and the other day I got a call from my Ortho. Apparently I have a few stress fractures on each leg. I go Wed to see what he suggests. I cant take Anti inflammatories so for right now he said just to limit my activity and ice it when it starts to ache.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:35 am

User avatar Well that was a curve ball! Actually better than what either Mr. Plamodon or I had thought of, although strongly suggestive of bone loss due to osteoporosis. At least that's a fairly manageable problem. Good luck with this and please keep us updated.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us