Medical Specialty >> Orthopedics

Question: Broken finger extended healing time

russell453 - Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:21 pm

I fell off the treadmill at the gym six weeks ago and broke my forth finger. The

break is close to my hand. I wear a splint but it is still very painful if I accidentally

move my hand and it hits against a hard surface. What is the expected recovery

time for a broken finger? Should I be concerned and visit my physician?

Thank you.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:56 pm

It is important to protect the finger from further trauma as this could cause instability in the bone and poor healing. If all goes well, expect 6 weeks of healing time. Xrays are neccesary to confirm healing.
Take care and keep us posted on your progress.