Medical Specialty >> Orthopedics

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/01/2017.

Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: mid back pain just right to spine

michael1724 - Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:27 am

My dominate hand is right and i have mid to upper back pain just to the right or maybe even a bit on the spine. It is more or an ache or a burn than sharp pain and i have had it for 5 days straight. I have gotten this before and usually get it on and off. I don't remember it lasting this long before though. One of the vertebrae on my spine hurts to touch but i think its a bit hight than the spot im talknig about. it is hard to pinpoint the spot and i cant tell if its muscle, bone or whatever etc. I play hockey and i use the stick on the right side of my body to shoot so i thoguht it could possible be a muscle problem from shooting in hockey since it is just to the right of my spine and i got it around the same time i last played hockey. Thanks for any advice
Michael
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:46 pm

User avatar Hi Michael,
This description sounds like a strained rhomboid muscle.
Treatment includes ice packs initially for 48 hours followed by hot packs; NSAIDS; and after pain subsides then start a strengthening program.
If you need assistance with treatment talk to your physician who may prescribe physical therapy.
Take care.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us