Medical Specialty >> Orthopedics

Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: mid back pain just right to spine

michael1724 - Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:27 am

My dominate hand is right and i have mid to upper back pain just to the right or maybe even a bit on the spine. It is more or an ache or a burn than sharp pain and i have had it for 5 days straight. I have gotten this before and usually get it on and off. I don't remember it lasting this long before though. One of the vertebrae on my spine hurts to touch but i think its a bit hight than the spot im talknig about. it is hard to pinpoint the spot and i cant tell if its muscle, bone or whatever etc. I play hockey and i use the stick on the right side of my body to shoot so i thoguht it could possible be a muscle problem from shooting in hockey since it is just to the right of my spine and i got it around the same time i last played hockey. Thanks for any advice
Michael
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:46 pm

User avatar Hi Michael,
This description sounds like a strained rhomboid muscle.
Treatment includes ice packs initially for 48 hours followed by hot packs; NSAIDS; and after pain subsides then start a strengthening program.
If you need assistance with treatment talk to your physician who may prescribe physical therapy.