Medical Specialty >> Orthopedics

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/01/2017.

Forum Name: Bone trauma and fractures

Question: Plates inserted on broken ribs- want them removed

 papasan50 - Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:00 am

In Nov of 1998 I was in France and was involved in a accident. The Trauma hospital there operated on me and placed approximately 5 or 6 Judette Plates, (that is what they called them) on my fractured right side ribs. I have not been the same since. The pain is getting worse and worse year by year. I am taking pain medication. I am in Phoenix, Az and am unable to find a Doctor who wants to get involved in my case as they all say they are un-familiar with this procedure. I want to have the plates removed from my ribs. What type Doctor would most likely do this kind of operation? a Thoracic surgeon or a Orthopedic surgeon? I have spoken to both specialies and they each say the other would be most likely to do it.
thank you
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:09 pm

User avatar Hello,
It sounds like these plates need to be removed. I would start by finding a level one trauma center in Phoenix and talk to a trauma surgeon. Sometimes they consult ortho or may do repair should be able to remove the hardware. Plus the trauma surgeon should have experience in the thoracic area.
Let us know how it goes.
 papasan50 - Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:25 pm

thanks for the info, how would I go about locating a level 1 trauma center here? they would be located at emergency rooms at the hospitals right? and wouldnt the doctors there be rotating in and out? so seems like it would be hard to find a doctor that way. We have a Mayo clinic here in Scottsdale, I contacted them and they didnt want to get involved with my case.
thank you,
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:07 pm

User avatar Hello,
Any ER doctor will tell you where the level one trauma hospital is. I suppose it doesn't have to be a level one trauma center - it could be a level two trauma center.
Some trauma team doctors/surgeons have office hours and can evaluate your case as an outpatient. See if they can help or if they could make a recommendation.
Many teaching hospitals affiliated with medical schools have qualified surgeons and may consider your case.
Keep us posted.
 papasan50 - Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:46 am

by coincidence my wife sprained her leg and I went with her when she went to the
Orthopedic Doctor. While there I brought up my situation with him. He was really almost rude to me, said Orthopedic Surgeons have nothing to do with human ribs, that would be Thoracic Surgeons. Told him I keep getting the run around from Orthopedic and Thoracic Surgeons. He wouldnt even answer me. Told him that Thoracic Surgeons have told me they only are concerned with inside the Thoracic cage, not the ribs themselfs.
Guess there is a Doctor out there somewhere who is a people person, but they getting harder and harder to find, most don't want to get involved with something they not familiar with.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:08 am

User avatar Hello,
Obviously, there is a host of physicians whose bed side manner is lacking.
Take care.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us