Medical Specialty >> Orthopedics

Forum Name: Joint surgery

Question: Removing rod from femur before THR

jedrad - Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:52 pm

I need a hip replacement and have had a rod in my femur for 14 years. Must the rod be removed before the surgery? What is the risk of the femur breaking again?What other options do I have?
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:17 pm

The rod will need to be removed from the femur to have the hip replaced. The total hip replacement includes a new ball and socket. The ball portion has a stem which fits down into the femur.
The likelihood of fracture with removal of hardware and implanting hip prosthesis depend on the bone quality and other factors.
Discuss this with the orthopedist beforehand.
Take care and let us know how it goes.