Medical Specialty >> Orthopedics

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/01/2017.

Forum Name: Bone trauma and fractures

Question: Avulsion Fracture of Ischial Tuberosity. Please Help!

 ijbaime - Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:23 pm

Please read this, I am desperate for answers!
About 3 years ago, when I was around 13, I started to feel a minor pain in my left hip while playing backyard football. It wasn't a bad pain and only came when i ran so i just ignored it. Eventually, we went to the doctor and they said it was an IT band syndrome. So I had some physical therapy for it which made it feel better but the pain was still there when i would run but this time it felt like it had moved into the top of m hamstring. So after I played a season of contact football my freshman year, we got an X-ray which showed nothing unusual and the doctor just thought the injury was moving around and said that was a good thing. So he thought it was some sort of tear or pull in the top part of my hamstring and sent me back to physical therapy again which did the exact same thing as last time, made it feel a lot better but i could still feel it lingering there. So i started working out with football and i played another season on it because it just felt very tight when i worked out and ran with bearable pain but it also was pretty painful to sit in the hard chairs at school. After that season i went to the doctor again and we took an X-ray and an MRI and the X-ray showed that there was a crack in my ischial tuberosity bone or ischium bone in my pelvis. I think they called it an Avulsion fracture. So after a delayed diagnosis of the injury, they told me to stay off of it for 3-4 months. No running or weightlifting and he told me to do hamstring strenthening exercises with the trainer at my high school for 15 weeks. So when we went back to the doctor he said I could start weightlifting and running again with the team. So after a couple days it felt fine like it was all better but about after a week of being with the team, the pain came back again and now its been about 2 weeks of doing no running or anything and the pain is still there like it was before. I love playing football and with this injury persisting I just don't know what to do anymore. Should I get surgery? I want it to be better before this football season in August. ANY suggestions, tips or reccomendations would be GREATLY appreciated and helpful
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:07 pm

User avatar Hello,
If indeed this is a complete avulsion fracture of the hamstring attachment at the ischial tuberosity surgical repair is indicated. I would suggest a sports orthopedist who has experience with this kind of injury. With this kind of fracture, the average length of time (according to one study) from injury to surgical repair was 12 months. This tells me the fracture is often missed because the symptoms appear as a high hamstring sprain in which case imaging is not needed.
If you have surgery, discuss the risks and benefits beforehand. Problems with the sciatic nerve can result from surgery.
Take care and let us know how it goes.
 ijbaime - Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:40 pm

Hi, when I got the x-ray done about a year ago the doctor said it was not a complete fracture and did not need surgical repair. So I took last season off and hoped that my leg would heal. In january I came back to football for off-season workouts and the pain has come back again. On the days that we do lower body workouts, I ice my leg after practice which helps some of the pain but I think it might be slowly getting worse. Now I really just want to know what will the consequences be if I continue to play football and not get the injury treated until after this coming season which would be December. ANY help would GREATLY be appreciated. I don't know what to do anymore and an expert's advice would be very helpful.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us