Medical Specialty >> Orthopedics

Forum Name: Joint surgery

Question: Post ACL Knee Surgery Sound

tigdra - Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:20 pm

It's been 3 1/2 years since my ACL knee surgery, they used my own ligament not one of a cadaver. I have a full range of movement with my knee and there hasn't been any pain associated with it for over a year, but when I do deep squats or when I fully bend my knee to pick something off the floor my knee clicks or plucks. The knee doesn't hurt when it sounds ust wanted to know if it is something bad or something that I should look into.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:30 pm

Since the clicking of the knee is not associated with pain or locking up then a meniscus problem is unlikely. I assume there was no medial meniscus damage when the ACL was torn.
Clicking may involve the patella femoral joint in which case making sure the quadriceps strength is well balance including the vastus medialis and hamstrings are flexible. Also check the IT band for tightness.
Take care and keep us posted.