Medical Specialty >> Orthopedics

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/01/2017.

Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: pinched nerve in Neck C6

sunsetgirl - Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:47 am

Hi
I suffered a pinched nerve in my neck C6 in January of this year! - I was takng voltaron 50mg 3x daily for about 3 weeks - I still am having a hard time with it and still have pain, kinda cracking sound in my neck and numbness in upper arm - not in thumb anymore.
How long does it take a pinched nerve to heal??? - Is there anything recomended?
I did this believe or not trying to Boast my car in the cold and having a hard time with the boaster cables for about an hour!! I did break my Scaffoid Bone 2years and my wrist and thumb always did get a little sore doing some things.
Thank you
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:55 pm

User avatar Hello,
With pinched nerves in the neck, a sign of improvement is the centralization of symptoms. Therefore, the fact that the thumb numbness has gone away and none just neck pain is a sign of improvement.
The prognosis of the pinched nerve depends on the cause of it. A severe disc protrusion causing nerve impingement is different than nerve inflammation verses a bony spur in the neck pinching the nerve.
An MRI should be able to show the cause of the pinched nerve.
For the neck, some physical therapy may help including a home exercise program. Cervical traction may help with the neck pain too.
Take care and let us know how it goes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us